HENRY CUNLIFFE 1827 – 1894
Henry was the son of Robert Henry Cunliffe 4th Baronet and Susan Emily Paton.
He was born in India in 1827 and married Mary Augusta Riddell from Scotland on 16 November 1852 at St Michael’s Church, Chester.
Henry was appointed the Vicar of Shifnal and was there for many years.
They only had one child Mary Susan Cunliffe who was born 31 January 1857 at the Vicarage in Shifnel but sadly died just one week later.
Mary died 2 December 1879 she was the same age as Henry. He remained the Vicar of Shifnal until 1884.
Henry remarried on 20 April 1887 at Eaton Square, London. His new bride was Lady Victoria Alexandrina Murray, daughter of Alexander Murray, 6th Earl of Dunmore; she was born in 1845 at Pall Mall, London, and was 18 years younger than Henry.
Henry was still described as a clergyman in the 1891 census when he was in Pall Mall visiting his wife`s aunt. He died at his home Cotefield, Banbury in August 1894 and was
cremated at Woking. In 1895 his remains were removed from the chapel, which is attached to the crematorium on Monday, July 1st, brought to Wrexham, and interred in the cemetery on the following day. Part of the burial service was read by the Rev. J. M. Lester, vicar of Shifnal, by the grave, which had been tastefully lined with white flowers and ivy.
A plaque to his memory was placed in the Shifnal Church in 1894.
Alexandrino lived until 1911 when she died at the rectory in Ellesborough, Buckinghamshire on 21 November 1911. She was brought to Wrexham and buried with Henry.
Three of his sisters are buried nearby.
Grave no: E-01349
Researched by Annette Edwards; photographs by Graham Lloyd.