Fortunately there was an obituary in the paper for Robert which outlines his whole life.
The Death of Mr. ROBERT EVANS, The Mount, Bangor Isycoed. It is with deep regret that we record the death of Mr. Robert Evans, Bangor Isycoed, which took place on Friday morning, December 21st, in the 70th year of his age. Mr. Evans was born at Felinisaf, Llanrwst, June 9th, 1819, where his father held and worked a small mill. There were several children in the family, of whom Robert was the eldest. His father and mother were good pious Methodists, who carefully trained their children in the fear of the Lord, and the result is shown in the fact that every one of them has through life been connected with the Church of Christ, and attached to his work. He lost his mother when thirteen years of age. She died suddenly, and his last recollection of her was seeing her standing at the house door watching them all going to Chapel on a Sunday morning. When they returned she was dead.
When about ten years of age he began to assist his father in the mill, and continued to do so until some of the other boys grew up to be able to take his place, when he left home to seek work elsewhere. When about 22 years of age his father died, and he returned home to arrange matters for the younger children, and having done this he left home again. He was by this time an active worker in connection with the Chapel at Llanrwst, and Sunday was a very busy and full day, -Prayer meeting at 7, Sermon at 9 Bible Class at 11 Sunday School at 1.30; Prayer at 5 Sermon at 6 Church meeting afterwards; and the day was wound up with a cottage Prayer meeting. At this time he had some thoughts of beginning to preach, and was urged to it by his friends.
An offer was made to him to go to Bala College. He was at this time connected with a number of young men in the locality of Llanrwst, one of whom was the late Rev. D. Davies, Barmouth, then of Penmachno, who met together in private places for the purpose of improving their gifts and holding fellowship with each other. He was accustomed also to attend the Sunday School meetings, and Temperance meetings in the district. Like a true Christian man when he left this locality his character did not change.
At Denbigh, where he removed to, he continued equally faithful in the master’s work, his character and services were greatly valued, and he formed many close, warm and lasting friend- ships. From Denbigh he removed to Wrexham still faithful and devoted in the Lord’s work. Here he met Miss Jones, to whom he was married in 1847, of whom we append a short notice. Following his occupation as a miller he worked successively at Chester and Holywell, then settling at Maesycoed, near Caerwys, where the family remained for ten years. There are still brethren living who cherish sweet memories of their Christian intercourse with him in these places.
Whilst resident at Maesycoed he was elected a deacon of Caerwys church and felt deeply the influence of the rivival of 1859-60. During these years also he laid the foundation of any measure of future success that he achieved. This was done by the practice, of the strictest economy, in which he was nobly supported by his wife. Money was never wanting for religious purposes, or for the education of the children, but in every other respect the strictest economy was practised.
In 1863 he removed to Halghton Mill, near Bangor Isycoed, as manager, and shortly afterwards purchased the Mill and the business, which he continued to conduct until about two years ago. The earlier years of this period were times of prosperity, when he had the privilege and pleasure of educating his family; the latter years were years of trial and great family afflection. During the first four years of their residence at Halghton the family were members of the Welsh church in Wrexham, but made their religious influence felt in the neighbourhood of their home.
Mr. and Mrs, Evans helped very materially to sustain in efficiency the small Primitive Methodist cause in Halghton, and have left here traces of their influence which will not soon be removed. At this time the village of Bangor Isycoed was very destitute of the means of grace. The Congregational chapel was practically closed. Religious services were held in a loft connected with the shop of Mr. Davies, Grocer. The established church was used only for worship on the Sunday morning and afternoon, and for marriages and funerals. Mr. And Mrs. Evans’s hearts were moved, and in conjunction with Mr. Dicken, Porthygan, they adopted the religious work carried on by Mr. Davies and established the Calvinistic Methodist cause at Bangor Isycoed. Of this church he was the senior deacon, in which capacity he was remarkable for his faithfulness to the end, guiding with his wisdom, assisting with his presence in all its services, performing gladly the humblest offices, hospitably entertaining the ministers who came to his house, and generously contributing to the expenses of the Lord’s work.
There are other families here who have done well, and in writing in this way of Mr. Evans, we do not for a moment disparage their faithfulness. Mr. Evans showed his wisdom in giving his family the best education he possibly could, and he had the satisfaction of seeing his four sons settled and successful in life. These are Mr. W. R. Evans, (William Robert) Wrexham; Mr. Oliver Evans, who holds the mill at Halghton Dr. Arthur Evans,( Arthur Llewelyn) Hawarden, and Dr. E. D. Evans,( Ebenezer Daniel) Wrexham all good men, but not one of them a better man than their father. There is also left one daughter, who has continued at home ministering to her parents.
Mr. Evans was a man of good ability, possessing a strong will and brave heart. He was a strict disciplinarian in his family keeping, his children and servants well in subjection, but reverenced and loved by both; conducting family worship with regularity, and consistently practicing what he taught. He was most conscientious in all his transactions, and humble in disposition. In the church, he was a safe counsellor, and a great source of comfort and strength to the pastor. In the Presbytery, his services were greatly valued, and no one could do the work of a visitor to a church in trouble more faithfully and successfully than he. Wherever he went he always left behind him the impression that he was a man of God fearing God and eschewing evil.
He was buried in the new Cemetery, Wrexham, December 26th, where a large number of friends met together to show their last respects to his mortal remains. The following brethren officiated at the house, Rev. E. Jerman at the cemetery chapel, Revs. John Roberts, Waverton, R. L. Roose, Holt, Thomas Phennah, John Williams, Chester, Griffith Ellis, M.A., Bootle at the grave, Rev. E. Jerman and Robert Phennah.
Mrs. Evans, his dear partner in life preceeded him into eternity only about 8 months, and she was so suitable a help meet and so good a Christian as to deserve notice here along with her husband. She was the daughter of the late Mr. Daniel Jones, who removed to Wrexham to read the proofs of the Rev. John Humphreys’s, Caerwys, Bible, when it was passing through the press. He settled there, and was for many years a tradesman in the town, and a respected deacon in the Welsh church, in Abbott Street. She was carefully trained in the knowledge of God’s Word, and interested in all Christian work among the Calvinistic Methodists. As wife and mother during the earlier years of their married life, she was remarkable for her care and thrift, her industry, and her devotedness to husband and family. As their circumstances improved, she rose with them, expanding in her generosity to her family, and to all around her. Her disposition was lively and bright, her character full of energy, her control over children and servants kind but firm. Her love to Christ was strong, her interest in His work deep and lasting, leading her to support and encourage [every good work.
During the last twelve years of her life, she suffered from paralysis, which gradually deprived her of the use of her hands, hey limbs, and, at last, of the power of speech. Her faith was sorely tried, and her spirit at times cast down within her, but she bore all with wonderful resignation. She was able to read much of God’s word, in which she delighted and next to God’s word, Spurgeon’s sermons were her chief delight. She was always great in prayer and found the throne of grace to be her chief source and comfort and strength in her affliction. During these years, when confined to her home, her interest in the Bible Society and the Foreign Missionary Society never slackened. She had a box for each conveniently at hand and raised for each about five pounds every year. Through all these weary years, her only daughter Edith watched over, helped her, nursed her, and comforted her as only a devoted and good daughter could. Her mortal remains rest with those of her husband, whom she had preceded.
MARY EVANS 1824 – 1888
Mary Jones (Evans) was the daughter of Mr. Daniel Jones and Margaret; she was born about 1824 in Wrexham. Her father was a cheese factor in the town, and a respected deacon in the Welsh church.
ELLEN MARIA EVANS (NELLIE) 1859 – 1885
There is a death notice in the paper which explained who Ellen was.
March 27th, aged 25, at 27, Regent Street, Wrexham, Ellen Maria, wife of Dr. E. D. Evans.
(Ebenezer Daniel) Ebenezer was the son of Robert Evans and Mary Jones.
Sadly, they had only been married the previous year, in Jun qtr. 1884. She was born in Henllan on 19 December 1859 and was the daughter of Henry Hughes and Ellen Roberts. Henry was quite a wealthy man who died in 1873, her mother moved to Denbigh and died there in 1893.
Source: Researched by Annette Edwards. August 2018; photographs by Graham Lloyd.
Grave no: M-03583